"Verified by VISA" looks phishy

Jon Barber jon.barber at acm.org
Tue Dec 5 04:04:02 EST 2006

Yes, the whole Verified By Visa / Mastercard SecureCode initiative has
been handled very badly by the banks. I work at a very large travel
dotcom based in the UK, in the team that looks after the shopping basket
and payments. We were one of the first sites to add support for 3D
secure (the umbrella term for this) and we have quite a bit of customer
feedback pretty much along the lines of what you say.

The banks response is, more or less, tough. Furthermore when asked about
promotional campaigns to educate the customers as to what this all means
and not to get spooked the response was again, errrr, why don't you do
it.

For vendors the stick that the banks wield is fraud & chargebacks - if a
vendor site does not support 3D secure then the vendor is penalised when
credit card fraud occurs. If the vendor does support 3D secure then the
bank will stand the cost of fraud. With current trends for card fraud
this is a very large incentive.

Jon.