Impossible compression still not possible. [was RE: Debunking the PGP backdoor myth for good. [was RE: Hypothesis: PGP backdoor (was: A security bug in PGP products?)]]

Ondrej Mikle ondrej.mikle at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 12:12:12 EDT 2006

We are both talking about the same thing :-)

I am not saying there is a finite deterministic algorithm to compress
every string into "small space", there isn't. BTW, thanks for "There
is ***NO*** way round the counting theory." :-)

All I wanted to say is:
For a specific structure (e.g. movie, picture, sound) there is some
"good" compression algorithm.

E.g.: if you take a GIF 65536x65536, all white, with just one pixel
black, it can be compressed into 35 bytes, see here:
http://i.iinfo.cz/urs-att/gif3_6-115626056883166.gif
If you wanted to compress the same picture using JPEG (i.e. discrete
cosine transform), then two things would happen:

The compressed jpeg file would be a) much bigger b) decompressed image
would have "artifacts", because Fourier transform of a pulse is sync
(infinitely many frequencies). Sure, JPEG is a lossy compression, but
good enough for photos and images that don't have a lot of high
frequencies.

Cheers,
  OM