CRCs and passphrase hashing

Travis H. solinym at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 21:12:30 EDT 2006

Howdy!

I was talking to Terry Ritter, and he was explaining to me that when
he needed to make some keys from a user-supplied passphrase, he
computed various CRCs over the passphrase, and used those as derived
keys.  I'd like to know more about it, and I was wondering if anyone
knew of any work that addressed the strength of this kind of
passphrase preprocessing.  Forgive me for not being able to hit the
ground running after reading the explanation from mathworld, as I
don't have a degree in discrete math.
Unix "guru" for rent or hire -><- http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/
GPG fingerprint: 9D3F 395A DAC5 5CCC 9066  151D 0A6B 4098 0C55 1484