Solving systems of multivariate polynomials modulo 2^32

Ariel Waissbein wata.34mt at coresecurity.com
Thu Aug 17 16:26:12 EDT 2006

Hi Danilo,

the information you can extract from the system relies largely in the
hypoteses. If you don't bound the degree then the polynomials can define
the zero function, while they are not the zero polynomial. Say, the
univariate 2^{31}X(X+1) defines the zero function in Z_{232}. Also
notice that it is the zero polynomial in Z_{2^i} for i<32.

I don't know of any bound that will work in Z_{232}. Most bounds are
good over algebraically closed fields (some over the reals), but
bounding solutions in the complex numbers (which contains Z) will not
include points (x_1,x_2,x_3) that are mapped to P_i(x_1,x_2,x_3) that is
an integer multiple of 232.

A root that you lift using Hensel to Z_{p^n} looks like a_0 + a_1 p +
a_2 p2 +... +a_n p^n where a_i is in Z_p. What will happen in your case
is that at first, in (Z_2)3 you can have at most 8 roots, once you lift
to Z_{22} some of these roots can be "split" into more roots (if p=2
and n=3, then at most 8 roots). A root at step i-1 will split at step i
depending on whether your approximation at the step i-1 annhilates the
jacobian determinant of P1,P2,P3.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Ariel

majordomo at metzdowd.com

-- Ariel Waissbein RESEARCHER CORE SECURITY TECHNOLOGIES Tel./Fax:
(54-11) 5556-2673 Humboldt 1967, 2do piso Capital Federal, Argentina
http://www.coresecurity.com/corelabs