Hamiltonian path as protection against DOS.

mikeiscool michaelslists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 00:28:59 EDT 2006

Could this sort of system be something that is implemented way before
a HTTP connection even starts?

Say, implemented by OS vendors or API vendors of sockets. That is to
say, when you open a socket connection for the first time, for certain
protocols, you need to pay this fee. The socket lib would be adjusted
to do it, and then you are good to go.

It would mean that other services get the benefit of protection. But
is there legimate need to connect to many, or one, host many thousands
of times? I'd guess there is.

Take the discussed handshakes. Could something be incorporated there?

Maybe there could be a new low level protocol, kind of like SSL, but
less cost involved ... then you could tell your server to operate in
that mode only...

-- mic