Test Vectors for IGE and biIGE?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Aug 6 03:53:31 EDT 2006

     --
Ben Laurie wrote:
 > I'm implementing AES in IGE and biIGE mode. AFAIK,
 > there are no other implementations or test vectors,
 > but perhaps one of you knows different?

  On reviewing the various methods for providing
integrity with minimal overhead for block encrypted
data, IGE seemed comprehensible, and I found no reported
attacks against it, but I also encountered lots of
literature adding multitudes of epicycles to it, as if
weaknesses had been found or suspected.

I expected to find someone saying "Here is a simple and
efficient way to protect encrypted data against
malicious alteration by an adversary who knows or
strongly suspects the plaintext" but did not find anyone
saying that.

Why the oversupply of remedies?

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      PPq8l9FHjabhO8nTB28VyFfiMXCf9NJ+pa+2HT1q
      4Ttu2nqimJg3wjiGx+UTZHFcnKnoRe83ZkbkrSUY0