History and definition of the term 'principal'?

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 26 18:13:49 EDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:33:43 +0200, Hadmut Danisch <hadmut at danisch.de>
wrote:

> I need to solve a dispute. Someone claims, that 'principal' is an
> established 'concept' introduced by Roger Needhams, but could not give
> any citation. Someone else confirms this and claims, that 'principal'
> is indeed a 'well-introduced' concept, but also can't cite any source
> or give any definition.

There were a number of things that Roger deserves at least some credit for
that he never claimed (such as one-way hashing of passwords), at least in
part because they were developed at the Eagle Pub.  Whether it was modesty
on his part, the fact that these things were group efforts, or the fine
IPA they serve there I don't know...