History and definition of the term 'principal'?

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Wed Apr 26 15:33:10 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 03:18:40PM -0400, Sean W. Smith wrote:
> I like the definition in Kaufman-Perlman-Speciner:
>
> "A completely generic term used by the security community to include
> both people and computer systems.  Coined because it is more
> dignified than 'thingy' and because 'object' and 'entity' (which also
> means thingy) were already overused."

Many thanks for the hint. :-)

Are there different editions of Kaufman-Perlman-Speciner ?

My edition of 1995 has two entries for principal in the index:

- Page 129: "A principal is anything or anyone participating
  in cryptographically protected communication."

- Page 266: "each user and each resource that will be using
  Kerberos."

Which edition is yours?

regards
Hadmut