nym-0.2 released (fwd)

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Fri Sep 30 22:18:55 EDT 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 02:18:43 +0000 (UTC)
From: Jason Holt <jason at lunkwill.org>
To: or-talk at seul.org
Subject: nym-0.2 released

nym-0.2 is now available at:

http://www.lunkwill.org/src/nym/

My tor server is currently down, so I can't set up a public trial of this, but
perhaps someone else will.  This release makes the following improvements:

* Tokens are now issued one-per-IP to clients via a "token" CGI script. Tokens
are still blindly issued, so nobody (including the token issuer) can associate
tokens with IP addresses.  The list of already-served IPs could be periodically
removed, allowing users to obtain new pseudonyms on a regular basis.  (Abusers
will then need to be re-blocked assuming they re-misbehave).

* A token can be used to obtain a signature on a client certificate from a
separate "CA" CGI script (potentially on a different machine).  Tokens can only
be "spent" to obtain one cert.  Code to make a CA, client certs and have the
certs signed is included.

* The CA public key can be installed on a third web server (or proxy) to
require that users have a valid client certificate.  Servers can maintain a
blacklist of misbehaving client certs.  Misbehavers will then be unable to
access the server until they obtain a new token and client cert (via a new IP).

My proposal for using this to enable tor users to play at Wikipedia is as
follows:

1. Install a token server on a public IP.  The token server can optionally be
provided Wikipedia's blocked-IP list and refuse to issue tokens to offending
IPs.  Tor users use their real IP to obtain a blinded token.

2. Install a CA as a hidden service.  Tor users use their unblinded tokens to
obtain a client certificate, which they install in their browser.

3. Install a wikipedia-gateway SSL web proxy (optionally also a hidden service)
which checks client certs and communicates a client identifier to MediaWiki,
which MediaWiki will use in place of the REMOTE_ADDR (client IP address) for
connections from the proxy.  When a user misbehaves, Wikipedia admins block the
client identifier just as they would have blocked an offending IP address.

 						-J