ECC patents?

Nick Owen nowen at wikidsystems.com
Thu Sep 15 13:23:27 EDT 2005

James A. Donald wrote:
>     --
> Whyte, William:
>
>>It hints that only some particular curves have been
>>licensed. It could be that NSA has decided not to buy
>>a license for the other curves, or it could be that
>>operations on those curves aren't patented. The
>>presentation doesn't give enough information to
>>establish which.
>

> If the NSA paid anything significant for any of the
> curves, we would be told.  Therefore the NSA paid
> nothing or almost nothing, and therefore if the NSA
> licensed anything, it would have licensed everything.
>
> I doubt that the NSA paid any money whatsoever for this
> license, making it profoundly unimpressive as evidence
> that *any* curves have a plausible valid patent.  If the
> NSA paid real money, the patent holders would be
> sticking it in our face as a price setting precedent.

I had a recent discussion with a person in a government agency that
indicated we would not be able to use them as a reference and that they
would probably want an unlimited license - because there could be no
reference to a number of users within the agency.  They did say that
they would get GSA pricing.  I suspect that Certicom got GSA pricing for
the deal as is, I assume, required by law.

Nick

--

Nick Owen
WiKID Systems, Inc.