Is there any future for smartcards?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Sep 12 12:52:27 EDT 2005

    --
From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
> Virtually all new phones sold are smartphones, and for
> every platform there are documented vulnerabilities,
> exploits, and malware already in the wild. Increased
> use of mobile phones as means of payment are a strong
> motivation for malware writers. Most of smartphone
> users are security-naive teenagers. This indicates
> that we'll be getting all [the] problems with desktop
> machines, and more, shortly.

Typical worm installation goes like this:

: :	Receive message via bluetooth from unnamed
: :	device?  Y/N
: :
: :	Installation Security warning:  Unable to
: :	verify supplier.  Continue anyway? Y/N

Seems to me that the phone designers have done a better
job with virus, worm, and malware resistance than
Microsoft or Linux.  Teenagers are pretty sophisticated.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     8tInGahoKXdu0MdklSeXa9rSSqUD0w9pt1CUvwWm
     4NF0OIlPIvHlyV2QEiTSJuO9yYMSLePsNYsvGjreG