Another entry in the internet security hall of shame....

Alaric Dailey alaricd at pengdows.com
Wed Sep 7 13:34:11 EDT 2005

Thus ATMs and the weak 2 factor authentication system they use are
untrustworthy, I knew that already, but as I said, its better than not
having the multifactor authentication.  The fact that many cards may be
used as credit card and you thus bypass the second factor, is a HUMAN
failing, the entity accepting the cards are supposed to check the
signature, against a photo id, ESPECIALLY if the card says "See ID".

But this overabundance of text doesn't solve my problems with the
assertion that PSKs are somehow more secure than Public/Private key
encryption with a trusted third party as verifier, and specifically the
X.509 Certificate Authority System that is the backbone for SSL.

No one is touching on the key issues
 sharing of keys securely and how to validate that they haven't been
comprimised.
 how a user is supposed to keep track of the secure keys (kind of a side
point)
 how the validation of identity of these systems would work

Peter brought up ATMs and I wasn't going to go out on a limb and say
they aren't trustworthy before, but the truth is, they aren't
trustworthy.  That being said, its a completely beside the point.

Unless the issues I pointed out are addressed , PSK is a much WORSE
solution than trusting a third party for verification of the other
entities identity.  Especially since you profess that certs are
"redundant and superfluous standin for the real information", how I am
to verify that a given website in Timbucktoo, is owned and operated be
the entity making the claim without going there myself, with SSL we have
SOME assurance that someone verified it.

Its no different than trusting that the people at the DMV did their jobs
when a drivers license was issued, but even drivers licenses aren't
acceptable authoritative proof that someone is who they profess to be.
Here in Nebraska we have one of the most difficult drivers licenses to
forge, so what did the criminals do? they stole the machines, so they
could make perfect forgeries.   Trust must lie somewhere, if you have a
structure that gives some assurance of that the entities are who they
say they are, that is a world better than lacking those arrurances.

So, my point is very simple, how am I to verify that a website, that I
have no control over, that has the proper PSK is who they say they are?
I have seen no answers, and I still see the same flaw, with ATMs
websites or anything else, a shared key isn't a secret, and if you are
professing it is, how are you to know it hasn't been comprimised?