NSA Suite B Cryptography

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Fri Oct 14 19:45:20 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sidney Markowitz" <sidney at sidney.com>
Subject: Re: NSA Suite B Cryptography

> Ian G wrote:
>> Which is to say, NSA solved its problem and it
>> is nothing to do with FOSS.
>
> If you wrote a Suite B program and distributed it under a BSD license
> after getting a sub-license for the patent from the NSA, presumably I
> could take that code, modify it, and then in order to use or distribute
> my modified code I would have to obtain my own sublicense from the NSA.

Uhhhh, no. The NSA only licensed the right to use (and sublicense under
special circumstances) the patents, they did not purchase the patents, and
they do not have exclusive rights to them. You would have to negotiate with
Certicom, the NSA would only be an alternative licensing agency under
special circumstance.

[snip the rest, it was based on a failed assumption]
                Joe