US Banks: Training the next generation of phishing victims

Nick Owen nowen at wikidsystems.com
Wed Oct 12 08:28:56 EDT 2005

Peter Gutmann wrote:

> Can anyone who knows Javascript better than I do figure out what the mess of
> script on those pages is doing?  It looks like it's taking the username and
> password and posting it to an HTTPS URL, but it's rather spaghetti-ish code so
> it's a bit hard to follow what's going where.

Why have the log on your homepage at all? Why not just a link to the
https login???  If the goal is to not have SSL overhead on the homepage,
don't.  Or is there some extra overhead for login processing that I
don't know about?  Is there some user dissatisfaction with an extra
click to login?

I suppose if you really wanted non-SSL logins, you could use a one-time
passcodes system with variable length passcodes to prevent race attacks.

--
Nick Owen
WiKID Systems, Inc.