[Clips] Schwarzenegger signs law to punish phishing

Hasan Diwan hasan.diwan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:03:58 EDT 2005

. On Sep 30, 2005, at 8:48 PM, R.A. Hettinga wrote:

>  Schwarzenegger signs law to punish phishing

Uhh... how is this to be enforced? I assume that the law states that
the perpetrators will be charged, not the companies that are phished.
Concrete example may clarify:

Someone purporting to be eBay sends a note to me. I click on it,
enter my credit card number, expiration date, and other information
to make it possible to steal my identity. I'm in California. When
said identity theft is discovered, I cite this law and the fact that
I'm a victim of said "phishing". Would I recover the US$500,000 from
my credit card company, eBay, or the state government?

Cheers,
Hasan Diwan <hasan.diwan at gmail.com>