"ISAKMP" flaws?

bear bear at sonic.net
Sat Nov 19 21:03:18 EST 2005

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Peter Gutmann wrote:

>- The remaining user base replaced it with on-demand access to network
>  engineers who come in and set up their hardware and/or software for them and
>  hand-carry the keys from one endpoint to the other.
>
>  I guess that's one key management model that the designers never
>  anticipated... I wonder what a good name for this would be, something better
>  than the obvious "sneakernet keying"?

Actually this is a good thing.  Separation of the key distribution channel
from the flow of traffic encrypted under those keys.  Making key distribution
require human attention/intervention.  This is treating key distribution
seriously, and possibly for the first time in the modern incarnation of the
industry.

					Bear