FW: Fermat's primality test vs. Miller-Rabin

Charlie Kaufman charliek at exchange.microsoft.com
Thu Nov 10 17:45:49 EST 2005

(resending after bounce)

-----Original Message-----
From: Charlie Kaufman
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:11 PM
To: 'Travis H.'; 'cryptography at metzdowd.com'
Subject: RE: Fermat's primality test vs. Miller-Rabin

>Is that the distinction that makes
>Miller-Rabin a stronger primality test?

Yes. The Miller-Rabin test will fail to detect that a Carmichael number is composite 25% of the time. Thus, repeating the Miller-Rabin test many times gives ever greater confidence. Fermat's test will fail to detect that a Carmichael number is composite 100% of the time, so repeating it doesn't help (in the fringe case of a Carmichael number).

In practice, the probability of randomly choosing a Carmichael number of size >250 bits is vanishingly small. The probability of a single run of Miller-Rabin or Fermat not detecting that a randomly chosen number is composite is almost vanishingly small. I've heard but not confirmed a figure of one failure in 20 million. I've never heard an estimate of the probability that two runs would fail to detect the composite. It couldn't be better than one failure is 20 million squared or worse than one in 80 million.

	--Charlie Kaufman