Symmetric ciphers as hash functions

Travis H. solinym at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 06:33:47 EST 2005

> Not so... the SHA family are all unbalanced Feistel structures.

Sorry, I guess I am thinking of AES.  I don't know where I got the
"doesn't need to be invertible" bit, I must be conflating it with
something else.

He should also take a look at OCB, CCM, and CBC-MAC modes.
Perhaps he intends to hide the hash inside the encryption, in which
case he might be better off doing authentication+encryption.
--
http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/  -><-
"We already have enough fast, insecure systems." -- Schneier & Ferguson