Citibank discloses private information to improve security

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Tue May 31 16:06:38 EDT 2005

Bank of America is adopting some new schemes that might help.  First,
they're asking users to select a picture the user selected at
registration time.  The theory is presumably that a phishing site won't
have the right image for you.  Second, you can "register" your
computer; if your account is accessed from another computer, additional
authentication is demanded, thus rendering a compromised password much
less useful.

I think both schemes will help; I doubt that either will stop the
problems.

http://www.bankofamerica.com/newsroom/press/press.cfm?PressID=press.20050526.03.htm