What happened with the session fixation bug?

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Tue May 31 13:55:37 EDT 2005

James A. Donald wrote:
> PKI was designed to defeat man in the middle attacks
> based on network sniffing, or DNS hijacking, which
> turned out to be less of a threat than expected.

asymmetric cryptography has a pair of keys ... the other of the key-pair
decodes what has been encoding by one of them. a business process was
defined using this technology where one of the key-pair is designated as
public ... and freely distributed and the other of the key-pair is
designated as confidential and never divulaged. an authentication
business process was defined using public/private business process
called digital signature .... where a hash of a message is taken and
encoded with the private key. the recipient can recompute the hash of
the received message and compare it to the digital signature that has
been decoded with the corresponding public key. this catches whether the
message has been altered and from 3-factor authentication
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#3factor

* something you have
* something you know
* something you are

implies "something you have" authentication ... i.e. the originator has
access and use of the corresponding private key.

PKI was somewhat targeted at the offline email model of the early 80s;
the relying party dials up their (electronic) post office, exchanges
email, and hangs up. They then may be dealing with first time
correspondance from a total stranger with no (offline or online)
recourse for determining information about the sender. Relying parties
could be seeded with trusted public key repository of trusted third
party certification authorities. Stangers could be issued "certificates"
(digitally signed by one of these certification authorities) containing
informoation about themselves bound to their public key. Email
recipients in the offline email days of the early 80s ... could now of
source of information regarding first time communication from total
strangers (sort of the "letters of credit" model from the sailing ship
days).

we were asked to work this small client/server startup in menlo park
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn2
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn3

that wanted to do payments on something they called a commerce server.
In the year we worked with them ... they moved from menlo park to
mountain view and changed their name (trivia question ... who previously
had the rights to their new name? also what large corporate entity was
providing most of the funding for the commerce sever?). some topic drift
... recent postings referencing this original e-commerce work as an
example of service oriented architecture (SOA):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005i.html#42
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005i.html#43

they had this technology called SSL which was configured at addressing
two issues: a) is the webserver that the user had indicated to the
browser ... the actual webserver the browser was talking to and b)
encryption of the transmitted information.

SSL digital certificates would be issued
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#sslcert

which would contain the domain name of the webserver bound to their
public key. the browsers would have trusted public key repository seeded
with the public keys of some number of trusted third party certification
authorities. the browser SSL process would compare the domain name
indicated by the user to the domain name in the digital certificate
(after validating the certificate).

(at least) two (other) kinds of vulnerabilities/exploits have shown up.

1) in the name of convenience, the browsers have significantly
obfuscated the certificate operation from the end-user. attackers have
devised ways for the end-users to indicate incorrect webservers ...
which the browser SSL process (if it is even invoked) will then gladly
validate as the webserver the user indicated.

2) a perceived issue (with knowing that the webserver that a browser is
talking to is the webserver the user indicated) were integrity issues in
the domain name infrastructure. however, as part of doing this
consulting with this small client/server startup ... we also had to do
detailed end-to-end business process due dilligence on some number of
these certification authorities. it turns out that a certification
authority typically has to check with the authoritative agency for the
information they are certifying. the authoritative agency for domain
name ownership is the domain name infrastructure ... the very
institution that there are integrity questions giving rise to the
requirement for SSL domain name server certificates.

In the second vulnerability, the certification authority industry is
somewhat backing a proposal that when somebody registers a domain name
with the domain name infrastructure ... they also register their public
key. then in future communication with the domain name infrastructure,
they digitally sign the communication. the domain name infrastructure
then can validate the digital signature using the (certificateless)
public key onfile for that domain. This supposedly improves the
integrity of the communication between the domain name owner and the
domain name infrastructure .... mitigating some possible domain name
hijacking exploits (where some other organization becomes recorded as
the domain name owner).

It turns out that the certification authority industry also has an
issue. When somebody makes an application for an SSL domain name
certificate, they need to supply a bunch of identification information.
This is so the certification authority can perform the expensive,
time-consuming and error-prone identification process ... and then do
the same with the information on file at the domain name infrastructure
as to the owner of the domain name ... and then see if the two domain
name owner identifications appear to match. Having an on-file public key
for the domain name owner ... the certification authority industry can
also require that an SSL domain name applicant, digitally sign their
application. Then the certification authority can retrieve the onfile
(certificateless) public key and change an expensive, error-prone, and
time-consuming identification process into a simple and more reliable
authentication process (by retrieving the onfile public key and
validating the digital signature).

 From an e-commerce perspective ... the SSL process was to protect
against credit card information havesting for use in fraudulent
transactions. However, the major vulnerability/exploit before SSL and
after the introduction of SSL ... wasn't against credit card information
in flight ... but against huge repositories of credit card information
(information at rest). It was much easier for the crooks to steal the
information already collected in huge repositories than go to the effort
of evesdropping the information inflight and creating their own
repositories (fraud return-on-investment, much bigger benefit in
stealing large repositories of already collected and organized
information). related reference regarding security proportional to risk
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001h.html#61

the financial standards working group, x9a10 was given the task of
preserving the integrity of the financial infrastructure for all retail
payments (as well as some number of other requirements) for x9.59 standard
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/index.html#x959

so some earlier work on PKI-oriented protection for retail payments
involved digitally signed transaction oriented protocol with attached
digital certificates.

in the early 90s, there was some work on x.509 identity certificates.
however, there was some issues with ceritifcation authorities predicting
exactly what information might be needed by unknown future relying
parties ... and so there was some direction to grossly overload these
certificates with excessive amounts of personal information. In the
mid-90s, some number of institutions were starting to realize that such
overloaded repositories of excessive personal information representing
significant liability and privacy issues. As a result you saw some
retrenchment to relying-party-only certificates
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#rpo

these were digital certificates that basically contained some kind of
database record locator (like an account number) bound to a public key
(the database record contained all the real information). however, it
became trivial to demonstrate that such relying-party-only certificates
were redundant and superfluous. This was, in part because they violated
the original design point for certificates ... the relying party not
having any other recourse to the necessary information. By definition if
all the information was in a relying-party's database ... then by
definition the certificate was redundant and superfluous.

in this later part of the mid-90s payment scene, these
relying-party-only certificates were on the order of 4k-12k bytes. It
turns out that a typical retail payment message is 60-80 bytes. Not only
were the stale, static, relying-party-only certificates redundant and
superfluous ... but they also would contribute to enormous payload bloat
(on the order of one hundred times).

the other problem with the relying-party-only, redundant and
superfluous, stale, staic, enormous payload-bloat digital certificate
based infrastructure ... were that they effectively were targeted only
at protecting credit card information "in-flight" ... something that SSL
was already doing. They were providing no countermeasure for the major
vulnerability to the data "at rest". the information at rest was still
vulnerable (and was the major exploit already with or w/o SSL)

So one of the things in the x9a10 financial standards working group was
to do a treat and vulnerability analysis ... and design something that
could preserve the integrity of the financial infrastructure for all
retail payments (credit, debit, stored-value, online, offline, pos, etc).

X9A10 defined a light-weight digitally signed transaction that wouldn't
contribute to the enormous payload bloat of the stale, static, redundant
and superfluous certificate-based infrastructures.

Another issue was the analysis demonstrated that the major treat and
vulnerability was to the data at rest. So for X9.59, a business rule was
defined ... for account numbers used for X9.59 transactions ... only
correctly verified digitally signed transactions (authenticated) could
be authorized.

An x9.59 transaction was digitally signed, and the relying party could
use an on-file public key to validate the digital signature .... showing
the transaction wasn't modified in transit and providing "something you
have" authentication as to the originator (they had access and use of
the corresponding private key). furthermore, evesdropping of the
transaction in flight ... and/or harvesting the large transaction
databases (information at rest) wouldn't yield information for the crook
to perform a fraudulent transaction. the current exploits where
knowledge from an existing transaction is sufficient to generate
fraudulent transaction has gone away ... for vulnerabilities involving
both "data in flight" as well as "data at rest".

The issue wasn't that SSL being designed to protect data-in-flight ...
the issue was that the major threat/vulnerability has been to
"data-at-rest" ... so to some extent, SSL (and the various other
countermeasures to "data-in-flight" vulnerabilities) wasn't responding
to the major threats. To some extent, e-commerce/internet was opening a
theoritical, new vulnerabilities ("data-in-flight") compared to the
non-internet world ... and so SSL was somewhat theoritically
demonstrating that e-commerce/internet use wouldn't make the situation
any worse.

Recent studies have indicated that at least 77% of the id theft exploits
have involved insiders (supporting the long standing premise that the
majority of fraud is by insiders). The introduction of e-commerce and
internet have introduced new avenues for attacking data-at-rest by
outsiders. As a result, e-commerce/internet potential threats to
data-at-rest has contributed to obfuscating responsible insiders in
cases of exploits against data-at-rest.