What happened with the session fixation bug?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Mon May 23 12:37:26 EDT 2005

    --
James A. Donald:

On 20 May 2005 at 23:21, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Do they exist? Certainly any session ID I've ever had
> a hand in has two properties that strongly resist
> session fixation:
>
> a) If a session ID arrives, it should already exist in
> the database.
>
> b) Session IDs include HMACs.

The way to beat session fixation is to issue a
privileged and impossible to predict session ID in
response to a correct login.

If, however, you grant privileges to a session ID on the
basis of a successful login, which is in fact the usual
practice, you are hosed. The normal programming model
creates a session ID, then sets variables and flags
associated with that session ID in response to forms
submitted by the user.  To prevent session fixation, you
must create the session ID with unchangeable privileges
from the moment of creation.   Perhaps you do this, but
very few web sites do.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     en30AWb8dk9T67RFzUse67CG7ZHHoOHC5OR/mndW
     4T4xroZR7GeKinK0sMRNQ+4Pdj6ApUEu4FCGDghE5