how email encryption should work (and how to get it used...)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun May 22 10:43:32 EDT 2005

    --
On 30 Mar 2005 at 13:00, Amir Herzberg wrote:
> A missing element is motivation for getting something
> like this deployed... I think spam could offer such
> motivation; and, I strongly believe that a
> cryptographic protocol to penalize spammers could be
> one of the most important tools against spam.

The cure for spam is not a provable link to a true name,
but a provable link to a domain name.

The problem with adoption is that this is only
beneficial against spam if widely used.  We face the
usual critical mass problem.

The proposal on my blog (blog.jim.com) focusses on
encryption at the individual level - one key per email
address, not one key per domain name. which would solve
the spam problem, but is less immediately helpful than
one key per domain name.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     Fl8/gx81XkbuiLaqs0tMz+/ctcqWpf8QrHNii7fo
     41mnxh9Ph2K70irDlta/Y+pRlE0zVmBG5xdTi+LFm