Propping up SHA-1 (or MD5)

Charlie Kaufman charliek at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 24 13:59:03 EST 2005

Whether these various tricks help depends on the technical details of
the attacks found. I hope that the bit twiddling crypto types who are
finding the attacks are going to propose something to fix them.

There are probably cheaper fixes than the 2x or 3x performance loss of
your algorithm down in the inner loops of these algorithms (such as the
change from SHA to SHA-1) and that these will come out. I'm reluctant to
jump on the SHA-256 bandwagon or to come up with some ad hoc fix until a
more thorough analysis is done. SHA-256 was designed before these
attacks were known and probably has related flaws (though they are even
less likely to be practically exploitable). We have the luxury of having
the current break being largely theoretical, so waiting even a year for
the mathematicians is probably OK. But it's never too early to start
preparing for a new algorithm - perhaps with a new hash size - in our
protocols. Further, given that lots of attacks (past and present) are
not exploitable if every hashed quantity includes some value chosen by a
trusted party and unpredictable by an attacker, it seems reasonable to
consider that as a desirable characteristic as we design our protocols.

	--Charlie Kaufman

p.s. Your formulae below have unbalanced parentheses, but I can guess
what you probably meant.