how to phase in new hash algorithms?

Dan Kaminsky dan at doxpara.com
Mon Mar 21 14:46:25 EST 2005

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

>We all understand the need to move to better hash algorithms than SHA1.
>At a minimum, people should be switching to SHA256/384/512; arguably,
>Whirlpool is the right way to go.  The problem is how to get there from
>here.

I've been rather continually pinging people, asking them for an
explanation as to the design decisions of Whirlpool (namely -- it's
similar but noticably not identical to AES/Rijndael, and isn't just a
straightforward expansion of the block size up to 512 bits).  I'm not
saying anything bad about Whirlpool, but I get alot of people
approaching me about the hash and I don't really know what to tell them.

--Dan