Encryption plugins for gaim

Adam Fields cryptography23094893 at aquick.org
Tue Mar 15 14:02:31 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 12:54:19PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Why not help us make Jabber/XMPP more secure, rather than overloading
> AIM? With AIM/MSN/Yahoo your account will always exist at the will of

Unfortunately, I already have a large network of people who use AIM,
and >they< all each have large networks of people who use AIM. Many of
them still use the AIM client. Getting them to switch to gaim is
feasible. Getting them to switch to Jabber is not. However, getting
them to switch to gaim first, and then ultimately Jabber might be an
option. Frankly, the former is more important to me in the short
term.

> AOL, whereas with XMPP you can run your own server etc. Unfortunately

Does "can" == "have to"? From what I remember of trying to run Jabber
a few years ago, it did.