Security is the bits you disable before you ship

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Mar 15 10:59:56 EST 2005

In message <E1DB5Cr-0003GP-00 at medusa01.cs.auckland.ac.nz>, Peter Gutmann writes
:
>>From a news.com story about features of gcc 4.0, available at
>http://news.com.com/Key+open-source+programming+tool+due+for+overhaul/2100-734
>4_3-5615886.html
>
>  Key open-source programming tool due for overhaul
>  Published: March 14, 2005, 10:46 AM PST
>  By Stephen Shankland
>  Staff Writer, CNET News.com
>
>  [...]
>
>  GCC 4.0 also introduces a security feature called Mudflap, which adds extra
>  features to the compiled program that check for a class of vulnerabilities
>  called buffer overruns, Mitchell said. Mudflap slows a program's
>  performance, so it's expected to be used chiefly in test versions, then
>  switched off for finished products.
>
>So you have an interesting definition of a security feature as "the bit you
>disable before the product goes into the environment where it'll be subject to
>attack".

That's not new, either.  I believe it was Tony Hoare who likened this
to sailors doing shore drills with life preservers, but leaving them
home when they went to sea.  I think he said that in the 1970s; he said
this in his Turing Award lecture:

	The first principle was security...  A consequence of this
	principle is that every occurrence of every subscript of
	every subscripted variable was on every occasion checked
	at run time...  I note with fear and horror that even in
	1980, language designers and users have not learned this
	lesson.