Colliding X.509 Certificates

Weger, B.M.M. de b.m.m.d.weger at TUE.nl
Fri Mar 11 06:11:35 EST 2005

Hi Joerg,

It's true that our 'attack' assumes that the attacker has sufficient
control over the CA, in particular over setting DN's, serial numbers
and the validity period. Yet I have a few remarks on this.

A relying party cannot find out from the certificate alone whether
it has a "twin sister" or not. The fact that there is a random-looking
serial number doesn't help you there.

A newly issued certificate based on MD5 should not be trusted anymore
anyway. The only reasonable measure against collision-based attacks is
to declare MD5 dead. It's better to bury it than to try keeping it alive.
I have nothing against randomized serial numbers. But your security
should be based on better ideas. And it's just as easy to avoid broken
hash functions.

Grtz,
Benne de Weger