two-factor authentication problems

Gabriel Haythornthwaite gabriel at castelain.com.au
Sun Mar 6 23:51:07 EST 2005

You're quite correct Matt,

Which is why IMHO you can only really get true "non-repudiation" through use
of PKI.  And more specifically:
- where the key pair was generated by the end-user, and
- where the server has stored a copy of the transaction - digitally signed
by the end user - which it can reproduce in court.

In this case, a corrupt operator could not have faked the transaction even
if they had wanted to.

RSA SecureID and OATH technology have some great virtues:
- they cost nothing to integrate at the client end - there is no client
"footprint" so there's nothing to go wrong
- they are relatively easy to understand and use
- they're unquestionably better than reliance on user IDs and passwords.

What they won't do is:
- provide non-repudiation
- defend against man-in-the-middle attacks, or
- provide a robust defence against phishing scams

And for these reasons I suspect their days are numbered.

All the best,

Gabriel Haythornthwaite
gabriel at castelain.com.au
Phone: +61 412 544 632