MD5 collision in X509 certificates

Victor Duchovni Victor.Duchovni at MorganStanley.com
Fri Mar 4 16:18:31 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 12:35:50PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Cute. I expect we'll see more of this kind of thing.
>
> http://eprint.iacr.org/2005/067
>
> Executive summary: calculate chaining values (called IV in the paper) of
> first part of the CERT, find a colliding block for those chaining
> values, generate an RSA key that has the collision as the first part of
> its public key, profit.

What is the significance of this? It seems I can get a certificate for
two public keys (chosen, not given) while only proving posession of the
first. Is there anything else? In what sense is the second public key
useful to the attacker?

--

 /"\ ASCII RIBBON                  NOTICE: If received in error,
 \ / CAMPAIGN     Victor Duchovni  please destroy and notify