RSA gets a reprieve?

Heyman, Michael Michael.Heyman at sparta.com
Thu Jun 30 15:16:58 EDT 2005

From:
<www.newscientist.com/channel/info-tech/mg18625054.000>

    ATTEMPTS to build quantum computers could run up
    against a fundamental limit on how long useful
    information can persist inside them. Exceed the
    limit and information could just leak away,
    making computation impossible...Rather than
    remaining in a superposition of two states, a
    qubit will spontaneously collapse into one state
    or another (Physical Review Letters, vol 94,
    p 230401). "When we discovered this we were
    stunned," says van den Brink...the time limit
    for decoherence seems to grow shorter as systems
    get smaller. Zaanen says that for some of the
    most promising qubit technologies the limit
    would be about 1 second. It's not a problem at
    the moment, he says, because researchers are
    fighting to get coherence times up to around a
    microsecond. "But this fundamental limit is
    getting within reach."

This plus the "no-cloning theorem" means that if a quantum computer
cannot factor an RSA modulus in under a second, RSA will remain
unbreakable. (I'm not a quantum physicist or quantum computer programmer
so I don't even know if the no-cloning theorem, which states qubits of
unknown states cannot be copied, applies.)

-Michael Heyman