WYTM - "but what if it was true?"

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 11:58:31 EDT 2005

On 6/26/05, Dan Kaminsky <dan at doxpara.com> wrote:
> It is not necessary though that there exists an acceptable solution that
> keeps PC's with persistent stores secure.  A bootable CD from a bank is
> an unexpectedly compelling option, as are the sort of services we're
> going to see coming out of all those new net-connected gaming systems
> coming out soon.

You just know that people won't want to totally reboot their machines
every time they want to bank, because that'll break their
excel+quicken+msmoney integrated finances. So they try make a bootable
HD partition, or run it under vmware, or copy the "trusted" client
off. These of course cannot be allowed by the banks if they want to
preserve the illusion of their secure banking app...

And now we have a market for cracked "trusted" banking clients, both
for phishers and lazy people... it's game copy protection wars all
over again. :)