[Clips] Visa Sets Antifraud-System Upgrade

Matt Crawford crawdad at fnal.gov
Thu Jun 16 11:39:17 EDT 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 14:27, R.A. Hettinga wrote:
> Antifraud systems help distinguish suspicious purchasing behavior,
> such as
> one credit card being used in multiple states within minutes. Such a
> pattern often can't be detected, however, until some purchases have
> been
> made.

My wife was a victim of this antifraud system last month.  She went to
a thrice-yearly show where vendors from all over the country sell their
wares.  She made two purchases at one booth.  The goods were from two
different vendors -based in different states- so were processed as two
transactions.  The second one, just a minutes or two after the first,
was denied with a "card cancelled" code.  Then automated phone calls
started coming from Visa to our home number.  It was quite annoying.
Impressive, but annoying.