Collisions for hash functions: how to exlain them to your boss

Weger, B.M.M. de b.m.m.d.weger at TUE.nl
Mon Jun 13 15:53:04 EDT 2005

Hi Eric,

Technically speaking you're correct, they're signing a program.
But most people, certainly non-techies like Alice's boss,
view postscript (or MS Word, or <name your favourite document
format that allows macros>) files not as programs but as static
data. In being targeted at non-techies I find this attack more
convincing than those of Mikle and Kaminsky, though essentially
it's a very similar idea.

Note that opening the postscript files in an ASCII-editor
(or HEX-editor) immediately reveals the attack. Stefan Lucks
told me they might be able to obfuscate the postscript code,
but again this will only fool the superficial auditor.

Grtz,
Benne

Technische Universiteit Eindhoven
Coding & Crypto Groep