de-identification

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sun Jun 12 06:17:58 EDT 2005

> I'd like to come up to speed on the state of the
> art in de-identification (~=anonymization) of data
> especially monitoring data (firewall/hids logs, say).

We call it pseudonymization ("Pseudonymisierung").  It's a commonly
used technique in Germany to detaint personally identifiable
information, so you can share it freely for statistics purposes.  The
methods used in the field are rather crude (time-seeded LCGs are very
common, unfortunately).

A reference to the book "Translucent Databases" was posted to this
list a couple of months ago, but IIRC it's being revisied, so I didn't
rush to buy and read it.