Papers about "Algorithm hiding" ?

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Tue Jun 7 19:00:57 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 05:41:12PM +0100, Ian G wrote:

| The difficulty here is that there is what we might call
| the Choicepoint syndrome and then there is the
| specific facts about the actual Choicepoint heist.
| When I say Choicepoint I mean the former, and the
| great long list of similar failures as posted last week.

Poor form there.
| No it's not rocket science - it's economic science.
| It makes no difference in whether the business is
| small or large - it is simply a question of costs.  If
| it costs money to do it then it has to deliver a
| reward.
|
| In the case of the backup tapes there was no reward
| to be enjoyed.  So they could never justify encrypting
| them if it were to cost any money.  Now, in an unusual

Actually, that's not true.  Over 10 years ago, I wrote a small script
that took data very much like this, encrypted it, verified the
output looked like PGP encrypted data, and copied it to a public ftp
site so that a partner could pick it up.

That saved a lot over tape, and reduced manual steps which introduced
errors.

Adam