Papers about "Algorithm hiding" ?

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Mon Jun 6 05:43:44 EDT 2005

At 01:14 PM 6/3/2005, astiglic at okiok.com wrote:
>I think we are already in a state where practically everybody that has a
>computer has crypto available, and it's not difficult to use it!

Of course they have it -
the problem is having crypto in a way that's not suspicious,
and "suspicious" is highly dependent on your threat model.
For instance, Microsoft Word has crypto -
it's lousy crypto, which isn't directly relevant here,
but it's a utility that people view as normal,
while PGP is inherently suspicious-looking.
No reason that OpenOffice couldn't have crypto that's actually reasonable
quality.
The "rename the binaries" strategy is probably more reliable than
cyphersaber etc.