What happened with the session fixation bug?

Michael Cordover mjec at mjec.net
Sat Jun 4 21:59:29 EDT 2005

James A. Donald wrote:
| Adversary accesses web site as if about to log in, gets
| a session ID.  Then supplies false information to
| someone else's browser, causes that browser on some one
| else's computer to use that session ID.  Someone else
| logs in with hacker's session ID, and now the adversary
| is logged in.

An excellent plan and the reason sessions shouldn't be automatically
given to every user of a site.  In my experience though, sessions aren't
created until the "login" button is pressed - the malicious user needs
an existing account.  This might then become a permissions escalation
problem - emphasis on the might.

Question: how does one convince the victim's browser to use the
malicious ID?  And if one can modify cookies on the browser for a remote
site (what needs to be done in most cases), doesn't this raise much more
serious questions about XSS?  I think this is probably a low-impact
issue unless sessions are used improperly.  Then again, given some web
apps I've seen, might be high impact :/.

Regards,

Michael Cordover

--
http://mine.mjec.net/