Collisions for hash functions: how to exlain them to your boss

Stefan Lucks lucks at th.informatik.uni-mannheim.de
Thu Jun 2 13:12:09 EDT 2005

Magnus Daum and myself have generated MD5-collisons for PostScript files:

  http://th.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/people/lucks/HashCollisions/

This work is somewhat similar to the work from Mikle and Kaminsky, except
that our colliding files are not executables, but real documents.

We hope to demonstrate how serious hash function collisions should be
taken -- even for people without much technical background. And to help
you, to explain these issues

  - to your boss or your management,
  - to your customers,
  - to your children ...

Have fun

Stefan

--
Stefan Lucks      Th. Informatik, Univ. Mannheim, 68131 Mannheim, Germany
            e-mail: lucks at th.informatik.uni-mannheim.de
            home: http://th.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/people/lucks/
------  I  love  the  taste  of  Cryptanalysis  in  the  morning!  ------