ID "theft" -- so what?

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Fri Jul 22 12:22:18 EDT 2005

Jerrold Leichter wrote:
> It's also clear that they don't expect customers to look closely at, or
> question, their bills.  If they did, they'd make sure that meaningful merchant
> names appeared on the bills, or at least were available if you called to ask
> about a charge.

a company can operate under possibly 3(?) different names ... a dba
name, a legal name, and some sort of general use name. the legal name
that a merchant signs a contract with a merchant financial institution
... can be totally different from the dba name.

i once found a legal name on a statement that was something like
"minority women owned title ?-something, no. ??? company" ... which was
totally different from the name on their store-front. I assumed that
their legal name was to help highlight their classification when bidding
on gov. contracts. the "no. ???" apparently was to differentiate them
from other companies that had also included the same reference to their
minority women owned status. I don't remember what the "title
?-something" was ... but it struct me as something where a minority
female owned small company was given special treatment in gov. bids.

i don't think it is so much a short coming of the merchant/financial
institution relationship ... it is just the general nature of the way
the society operates.