[Clips] Venona Ten Years Later: Lessons for Today

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Fri Jul 22 07:24:42 EDT 2005

>  one that is all too relevant today. The pertinent question is no longer
>  whether Americans spied, but rather how highly educated, intelligent men
>  and women failed to comprehend the true nature of Stalinist communism, and
>  why they were willing to risk their lives and imperil the security of their
>  families, neighbors and friends to commit crimes on behalf of a foreign
>  power opposed to the basic tenets of modern society.

This was a good observation, but the next sentence muddled it with
typical American self-blindness.

>  Answers to similar
>  questions, regarding educated Muslims with experience of life in Europe and
>  the U.S. like those who led the 9-11 and Madrid attacks, are essential to
>  constructing a defense against 21st century terrorism.

I want the same answer about how not just the Washington elite, but
even army kids from Iowa, fail to comprehend WHY we prohibit torture,
provide fair trials and legal representation, due process of law, and
why we have a constitution or civil rights at all.  Do they not
comprehend the true nature of a United States with arbitrary searches,
travel papers, pervasive surveillance, no effective Leg. or
Jud. checks on arbitrary executive power, no federalism checks on
unlimited federal power, indefinite imprisonment of US citizens at the
will of the President, indefinite imprisonment without trial of
non-citizens seized by force anywhere in the world, and wars of
occupation?  It's caled an expanding totalitarian state, kiddies, and
every totalitarian stste tells its citizens how they are the freest
country in the world.  Get out and compare for yourself!

Then tell me what the "basic tenets of modern society" are.

    John Gilmore (posting from Greece)

PS:  Add in a lapdog press too.  Try reading the foreign press on the web.
They actually ask hard questions of pols and slam them for evading.  And
all their sources aren't anonymous "highly placed govt officials".