draft paper: "Deploying a New Hash Algorithm"

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Jul 21 10:11:11 EDT 2005

Eric Rescorla and I have written a paper "Deploying a New Hash Algorithm".
A draft is available at http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/new-hash.ps
and http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/new-hash.pdf .

Here's the abstract:

	As a result of recent discoveries, the strength of hash
	functions such as MD5 and SHA-1 have been called into
	question.  Regardless of whether or not it is necessary to
	move away from those now, it is clear that it will be
	necessary to do so in the not-too-distant future.  This
	poses a number of challenges, especially for certificate-based
	protocols.  We analyze S/MIME, TLS, and IPsec.  All three
	require protocol or implementation changes.  We explain
	the necessary changes, show how the conversion can be done,
	and list what measures should be taken immediately.