ID "theft" -- so what?

Jeffrey I. Schiller jis at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 20 23:52:19 EDT 2005

Btw. There are credit card issuers (AT&T Universal is one) that permits
you to create a virtual one-time use credit card (with a time limit and
$$ limit if you want).

So when I shop at a merchant I don't want to trust, I open another
browser window and go to my issuers website and obtain a one-time card
number and use it at the merchant site. I can usually see immediately
after the purchase that the card has been used (on the issuers website)
so I know the merchant is checking the card in real time.

Apparently there is wallet software that will do this in a more
automated fashion, but it isn't available for my platform (non-Windows).