the limits of crypto and authentication

Jaap-Henk Hoepman jhh at cs.ru.nl
Tue Jul 19 08:37:54 EDT 2005

Only problem is that cell phones have become so utterly complex (hosting
several processors and a plethora of software components) that it will never
become the trusted device that we once thought it could be...

Personal it is though....

Jaap-Henk

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:56:22 -0700 "James A. Donald" <jamesd at echeque.com> writes:
>     --
> Ian Grigg <iang at systemics.com>
>> In the payments world we've known how to solve all
>> this for some time, since the early 90s to my
>> knowledge. The only question really is, have you got a
>> business model that will pay for it, because any form
>> of token is very expensive, and the form of token that
>> is needed - a trusted device to put the application,
>> display, keypad and net connection on - is even more
>> expensive than the stop-gap two-factor authentication
>> units commonly sold.
>
> Such a device sounds like a cell phone.
>

>     --digsig
>          James A. Donald
>      6YeGpsZR+nOTh/cGwvITnSR3TdzclVpR0+pr3YYQdkG
>      5nMEZ3YWGEUKZWzEprv/E7vI+8j9jzBNX8GWiJiO
>      4nb4BSDrVGLfq42fHktPRSAfFO3N0uGBnezGRNWrS

Jaap-Henk Hoepman           |  I've got sunshine in my pockets
Dept. of Computer Science   |  Brought it back to spray the day
Radboud University Nijmegen |        Gry "Rocket"
(w) www.cs.ru.nl/~jhh       |  (m) jhh at cs.ru.nl
(t) +31 24 36 52710/53132   |  (f) +31 24 3653137