jointly create a random value for corrupted party

Anna Rikova annarikova at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 20:01:30 EDT 2005

Hi,

maybe this is a silly question, but at the moment I
don't know how to solve it. Assume there are 4 partys
A,B,C,D. Now the parties B,C,D want to create a random
value r for A, so that each party B,C,D can verify
afterwards, that A uses indeed the random value r, but
doesn't know the value of r.
I thought of the following solution, but it has a
problem:
Each party I \in{B,C,D} broadcasts a value g^{r_i} mod
p, where r_i is random, p is a large prime and g is a
generator. After that each party sends to A the value
r_i secretly. Aftern that A can compute:
r= r_B + r_C + r_D. If A then uses this value in the
form of g^r everyone can verify that A uses every r_i
in g^r.

This scheme has one problem (at least I think so): The
partys B,C wait till D braodcasts her value g^{r_D}.
Then they choose their values r_B and r_C so that g^r
has a special characteristic e.g. the last bit of g^r
is zero. Then r is not randomly disributed in Z_p,
cause only values are allowed for r, which yield to
g^r with last bit zero.

What can I do against this? I assume there are
protocols to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Anna