mother's maiden names...

Ben Laurie ben at algroup.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 08:42:08 EDT 2005

Peter Gutmann wrote:
> "Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com> writes:
>

>>Why is it, then, that banks are not taking digital photographs of customers
>>when they open their accounts so that the manager's computer can pop up a
>>picture for him, which the bank has had in possession the entire time and
>>which I could not have forged?
>

> I don't know about photos specifically, but I know that signature imprints are
> often still moved around by laborious manual means because the background
> infrastructure to handle images doesn't exist.

My bank doesn't even bother to move them around, as I discovered when I
had a chequebook stolen and cheques for large sums forged, and honoured.

When I spoke to a person who had found the cheque in their store I asked
"is it my signature?" (yes, I am sufficiently absent-minded that I might
have written a large cheque and forgotten about it). Their response was
that they didn't know and had no way to find out. In the end they faxed
me a copy so I could check it myself.

Cheers,

Ben.