the limits of crypto and authentication

Rich Salz rsalz at datapower.com
Thu Jul 14 23:13:21 EDT 2005

> If you had two products ... both effectively performing the same
> function, one you already had deployed, which was significantly cheaper,
> significantly simpler, and significantly faster, which one would you choose?

I was told that one of the reasons SSL took off was because Visa and/or MC
told merchants they would "for the time being" treat SSL as card-present,
in terms of fraud penalties, etc.  If this is true (anyone here verify?
My source is on the list if s/he wants to name themselves), then SSL/SET
is an interesting example of betting on both sides.
	/r$