the limits of crypto and authentication

Amir Herzberg herzbea at macs.biu.ac.il
Thu Jul 14 12:43:15 EDT 2005

Pat Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 23:43 -0400, Rich Salz wrote:
>
>>>I think that by eliminating the need for a merchant to learn
>>>information about your identity ...
>>
>>Wasn't that a goal of SET?
>
> As I recall, the goal of SET was to have a standard
> that was not invented by CyberCash. (I may be biased, I
> worked at CyberCash at the time).
This is incorrect. The main politics around SET was the artificial
`merger` of iKP (from IBM & Mastercard) and STT (from Visa and MS). As
far as I remember, CyberCash were involved but choose not to. They also
did not disclose their protocol like the other proposals. I may be wrong
about the CyberCash role, though, it was a while, and I don't think it
matters so much...
--
Best regards,

Amir Herzberg

Associate Professor
Department of Computer Science
Bar Ilan University
http://AmirHerzberg.com
Try TrustBar - improved browser security UI:
http://AmirHerzberg.com/TrustBar
Visit my Hall Of Shame of Unprotected Login pages:
http://AmirHerzberg.com/shame