ID "theft" -- so what?

Aram Perez aramperez at mac.com
Thu Jul 14 10:45:17 EDT 2005

<RANT-PET_PEEVE>Why do cryptography folks equate PKI with
certificates and CAs? This fallacy is a major "root cause" of the
problem IHO. Why was the term "PKI" invented in the  late 70s/early
80s (Kohnfelder's thesis?)?. Before the invention of asymmetric
cryptography, didn't those people who used symmetric cryptography
need an SKI (secret key infrastructure) to manage keys? But no one
uses the term SKI or talks about how to manage secret keys (a very
hard problem). Anytime you use any type of cryptography, you need an
"infrastructure" (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrastructure>) to
manage your keys, whether secret or public. There are at least two
public key infrastructures that do NOT require CAs: PGP and SPKI. But
like in so many real life cases, the best technology does not always
win and we are stuck with the system that garnered the most business/
economic support.</RANT-PET_PEEVE>

Respectfully,
Aram Perez