the limits of crypto and authentication

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Thu Jul 14 09:23:10 EDT 2005

Rich Salz <rsalz at datapower.com> writes:
>> I think that by eliminating the need for a merchant to learn
>> information about your identity I have aimed higher. Given that we're
>> talking about credit instruments,
>
> Wasn't that a goal of SET?

Some of it was, yah. I don't claim that any of this is original. The
problem with SET was that the protocol was far too complicated to
implement (hell, the spec was nearly too heavy to lift), and it was
proposed well before people even had USB connectors on their
computers, let alone cheap USB card interfaces. I think people threw
out the baby with the bathwater, though. The general idea was correct.

Perry