mother's maiden names...

Janusz A. Urbanowicz alex at bofh.net.pl
Thu Jul 14 06:57:32 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:26:52PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> A quick question to anyone who might be in the banking industry.
>
> Why do banks not collect simple biometric information like photographs
> of their customers yet?

Some, like Citibank do. I have a photo on my VISA from them, but I believe
the photo is not linked to the account nor taken into consideration when
doing identification at the bank. When I asked about it, the answer was
something about that the photo is stored only by the credit card issuing
center, and not in the main system. Random peeking on clerk's screen while
I'm at the bank seems to confirm this - no place for customer picture in the
account info.

Sometimes they aren't allowed to do so, data privacy policy here says that a
business may not request or store any personal information that is not
directly needed to conduct business with that person; a national ID card is
routinely xeroxed when establishing an account and the copy is kept at the
bank, then the photo is blackened out; when the regulation came live bank
staffs had working weekends sitting with black felt-tip pens, blacking
out photos and other unneeded info on the ID xerocopies.

Alex
--
mors ab alto
0x46399138